Friday, March 4, 2011

Champions






March 2nd, 2011 probably the most pure and primal form of joy I have felt in ages. I still remember in the beginning of 2nd year, when I played cricket for the first time in years n not being able to complete 3 bowls without huffing and puffing. From that day, to today has been a journey that I will remember forever.

This may seem like gloating to some people, but believe me, the amount of hard work that I have put in, in the last few weeks, has been the hardest I have worked in 2 yrs of MBA. Since day 1, everybody has been able to create a niche for themselves, something they excel in. I on the other hand, failed miserably in the only thing I was good at i.e. women. Call it a blessing in disguise, or a gift from the juniors, that they organized the cricket tournament just in the nick of time. Practicing in the hot baking sun at 2 pm, playing 3 -4 matches just for practice, trying hard to get back into some sort of shape, n then suffering a hamstring injury, just 10 days before the tournament.

But I have to admit, while the practice sessions were just for fun, on the match day, stepping on that field, I could feel the passions returning for my one and only true love, bowling as fast as I possibly could. All the aches and pains seemed to have disappeared while I was on the field. And what a beginning it was. Watching the batsmen smash the opposition all over the park and then, holding on to my first ever caught and bowled, WOW.

The tension of the 2nd match, where every bowl counted, heart’s pumping, tension flaring, bodies aching and minds racing, not going whether u were gonna qualify for the next round or not?? The ecstasy of getting into the semi’s, applying a rather generous amount sprays, just to be able to get the hamstring to stop aching, before every match, man, that’s when I knew it was my single opportunity to make a mark for myself, to prove to myself, that I was still good for something.

Being the only one dimensional player in the team (I can’t bat worth shit, n fielding isn’t exactly something I am too keen on, ur typical Indian quickie ;-) ). The most satisfying feelin was when, in the finals, the penultimate over was given to me. I thought I had been wacked out of the park for a huge six, I shouted in anguish, held my head and then somehow managed to turn around just in time, to watch the long on fielder (Mithun man, I owe u 2 wickets) take a simple catch. That was the loudest shout of anger, anguish, relief n excitement I have ever given out.

Man, it was one crazy day. Thanks to everybody n the team for keeping their faith in me. Thanks Jamil bhai, for keeping calm when I was wacked for 2 consecutive sixes, thanks Lodha for ur words of encouragement after the match with BD, Shruti for calming me down after the Trojans created that ruckus over the catch in the finals, Mithun n Doshi for holding on to those catches in the finals, Ravi for dismissing the explosive batsman in the first over to make things easier for me, and my two dear friends Purvi n Pooja for getting us food n water n cheering for us n those wonderful pics.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, WE WON.

No comments:

Post a Comment